Sunday, May 6, 2012

Skype Lovin' with my Sister Sheila: Prom and Birthday!

Elyse's Sweet 16 last year
So one of the downsides of being abroad is missing out on big days at home. Between last week and this coming week, I will have missed my 'not-so-little anymore' sister's junior prom; her seventeenth birthday; her tennis County Tournament; my best mate, Lauren Stevenson's big 21st; my Zack Davis's big 21st; the anniversary of my Busi's 93rd brithday; and mum's day! Luckily for mum, she gets to open her Australian mother's day card soon, and maybe even get a little surprise! What an eventful week in Jarrettsville!

But all thanks to the lovely invention of Skype, I was able to share and capture part of the memories, all while creating another memory in itself. Seriously, how many Skype birthday parties are you invited to?

So May 4th, well Cinco de Mayo here, I woke up early so I'd make it to the party on time! I was fashionably late, but hey, I couldn't get my computer to start right away! Once again, like at my dad's Skype party, my wonderful and creative mama had my room decorated with streamers, balloons, presents, and cake.


I did a little decorating on my end of the world, too! I drew up a little 'Sister Sheila' birthday poster with a festive kangaroo and hung it up so Elyse could see it in the screen shot!

When the birthday girl showed up after tennis practice and indulged in her delicious home cooked dinner of steak, asparagus, and potatoes, we sang to her and she made a rather long wish then blew out her candles. It only took her four breaths to get all seventeen blown out! Talk about getting old, Elyse!



After that, it was present time! I felt so honored that she chose to open my card up first! It arrived about a week and half ago, so the day finally came for her to see her surprise! She loved the boomerang key chain I put in there for her car keys! Then the rest of the presents were opened, one of the favorites being the tickets to the Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre to see Legally Blonde on June 22nd! I'm pretty excited about that, especially the all-you-can-eat dinner and dessert buffet! O yeaaaa! As long as they let Elyse pull her chair up to the dessert table and place the apple crumb cake directly in front of her, it will be a successful evening. She also got some super cute clothes-thanks to mom and DAD'S great style taste- that I am oh so excited to wear... I mean see! After the gifts, we had a little fashion show as she tried on all her new clothes.

Finally, it was cake time! That's usually the best part of a party, right? Well, unfortunately Skype hasn't advanced enough yet to let me get a slice through the screen. Despite my drooling, my lovely mother kept saying,"Gee, Ash. I don't know what I did differently this time, but this is seriously the best icing I've made yet. I didn't change anything, but man, we can't stop eating it." Thanks, mom! My dad, being the gentleman that he is, didn't finish his slice so I wouldn't feel too left out. I told him not to waste the cake, there are starving college kids in Australia! Mom finished it for him!

It was another successful Skype party and it just reinforces how blessed I am to have my family. I know I am in Australia and I have so many events to look forward to, but honestly, it's the little things like Skyping home for big events that I really, truly look forward to the most, which leads me into my next story: Elyse's prom!!!!!



I remember these days
Ok, so I don't know when it happened, but my baby sister grew up into this beautiful woman! I remember the days when I would walk and drop her off at her kindergarten classroom, or wait for her with my mom at the bus stop as she would run off waving candy that she got for me! But this past weekend, she was 'Red Carpet' lovely! This time, I woke up at 3:30am with my coffee to be with her, Jessie, and my mom as they primped themselves for prom! I watched as my mom somehow did Elyse's hair in this beautiful up-do. That woman is just so talented!


Senior prom, 2009
Then I watched her and Jessie put their makeup on, all the while giggling and bringing back memories of Lauren Stevenson and myself getting ready for prom. Goodness, I miss that girl! I still cannot believe how much time has passed since our years in high school.

I then got to have a little private chat to give some sisterly advice. I made sure to tell them that there better be no boys' hands slipping below the hips! If so, they have full permission to slap!

After our little chit chat, the girls slipped on their gowns and fastened their high heels. They showed me the final product, and I must say they looked
absolutely stunning!

The best part was the next day when I got to Skype with Elyse and listen to all of her stories! From pictures, dancing, dinner, and dessert, to the fancy bathrooms, and the after-prom party, she didn't leave out a detail! It was another treasured memory.

Well, I'm down to the final five weeks of my Aussie Adventures, and I have fun planned for every weekend, so check back if you want to hear about the Burlesque Dinner show, Hunter Valley wine tasting, and rugby! It should all be heaps of fun!

Thanks for reading and if I don't post again before May 13, Happy Mum's Day to all my mommy readers out there!

Cheers!
XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment